Ohio’s Bureau of Workers’ Compensation (BWC) teamed up with the Ohio Department of Aging and other Ohio government and state business partners to launch Steady U, a statewide collaboration aimed at preventing slips, trips and falls in older Ohioans.
Employees ages 45 and up are more likely to fall in the workplace than other workers. Work-related slips, trips and falls often result in sick days, reduced productivity and expensive workers’ compensation claims for the employer. The average BWC claim for lost time related to slips, trips and falls is more than $31,000.
Here are 10 ways to reduce falls in your workplace:
- Keep a written housekeeping program.
- Ensure that floors are clean and dry.
- Employ proper floor cleaning procedures.
- Wear slip-resistant shoes.
- Block entry into areas with wet floors.
- Maintain adequate lighting.
- Encourage employees to take their time and watch where they’re going.
- Maintain a written removal plan for snow and ice.
- Place additional mats in entrances during inclement weather.
- Ask employees to use stepstools instead of standing on furniture.
Visit Steady U
today for more information and more resources.